There are many biblical reasons and benefits for being a formal member of a local church. To learn more, we recommend listening to the following sermons, "What’s So Great About The Church?" and "Healthy Church Life."
Here's our three step process for becoming a member.
1.) Membership Class
Quarterly, we hold a 3 hr membership class that covers the essentials of TPC. The class is taught by one of our elders who goes through a membership booklet that explains our mission, vision, core beliefs and behaviors.
2.) Membership Interview
Following the class, if you decide to become a member then we want you to be able to personally meet with your primary care elder and express your testimony and ways in which we can help equip you for ministry. Our staff will work with you to schedule an appointment.
3.) Membership Reception
Joining a church doesn’t just require agreement; it requires commitment. This is a challenge for modern Americans who live in a culture of high consumption and low commitment. We are bombarded with the message that the goal in every area of life is to put in as little as possible and get out as much as you can. However, a Christian is called to not be conformed to the pattern of this world (Rom.12:2).
At the membership reception, you would take the following membership vows before the congregation in the service. The first three describe what it means to be a Christian. The last two are vows, or commitments to Christ and his church.
- “Do you acknowledge yourself to be a sinner in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope except in His Sovereign mercy?”
- “Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of Sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for your salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?”
- “Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as a follower of Christ?”
- “Do you promise to support the church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- “Do you submit yourselves to the leadership and discipline of the church as we’re in line with God’s word, and promise to preserve its purity and peace?”
(Optional) Membership Transfer
It is highly recommended that you notify your previous church when you decide you would like to become a member at TPC. Also, even if you are coming from another PCA church, you must participate in the membership interview and take the membership vows before the congregation.
Former churches may send a letter or certificate of transfer to:
Truth Point Church
P.O. Box 222926
West Palm Beach, FL 33422
The letter or certificate should say:
- You are a member in good standing
- They are releasing you into our spiritual care.
We really hope you will consider becoming an official part of our church family!